Corporate leadership is a key and integral part of making gender equality and women’s empowerment a top strategic priority. It publicly signals the CEO’s and the executive team’s goals and targets for implementing the WEPs and how the seven Principles will become part of the corporate sustainability strategy, day-to-day operations and organizational culture.
- Embed values of gender equality into your business values, business plan and overall organizational culture.
- Establish company-wide goals and targets for gender equality and women’s empowerment and measure progress through clear performance indicators.
- Make managers at all levels accountable for results against these goals and targets through their performance reviews.
- Engage and consult internal and external stakeholders in the development of company policies, programmes and implementation plans.
- Ensure that existing policies are gender-sensitive – identifying factors that impact women and men differently – and that corporate culture advances equality and inclusion.
- Review the requirements for board membership, and other governance bodies and committees, to remove any discrimination or bias against women.