Companies are increasingly investing in community development programmes to make valuable, effective and responsible contributions to gender equality and women’s empowerment. A key motivation is to respond to consumer preferences to buy from companies with gender-responsive business practices and who are actively supporting community initiatives.
- Lead by example by showcasing concrete actions to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Leverage influence, alone or in partnership, to advance gender equality and collaborate with business partners, suppliers and community leaders to achieve results.
- Work with community stakeholders and officials to eliminate discrimination and exploitation and to open opportunities for women and girls.
- Promote and recognize women’s leadership in, and contributions to, their communities and ensure their active participation in community consultation.
- Use philanthropy and grants programmes to support community initiatives.